Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fractions are Fun!

Photo: http://www.imaginativeteacher.com/Fractions_ebook.html

Fractions are everywhere, from cooking, to time telling. But sometimes understanding fractions can be a difficult concept to grasp, especially when it's listed so abstractly such as with numbers. I found a cute game on PBS kids, Melvin's Make-a-Match, which asks kids to pick two bottles off the shelf that match; one having the fraction listed numerically, the other depicted with a pie style diagram. What I like so much about this game, is that kids get to see the fraction listed both numerically and as a picture, hence the fraction is no longer abstract, but pulled into focus and visually tangible.
FUN GAME ----> Melvin's Make-a Match

So what is a fraction anyway? It represents a portion of a whole. Let's say I have 3 quarters out of a dollar. We can write this a few ways but they all mean the same thing.
                                     75             3        
                                     ----    =     ----
                                     100           4         

They are both equal. Why? A quarter equals .25 and a dollar equals 1.00. We have 3 .25 quarters. .25x3=.75 so we have .75 out of 1.00. Also, there are 4 quarters in a dollar, and we already have 3 of the 4. Therefore, 75/100=3/4!

Can't get enough? Want more? Here's a nice little source for all your fraction needs: Fraction Lessons

One valuable lesson I'll take away with me from my Math for Elementary Teachers class is to not underestimate the importance of visual aides. My classroom will most likely be loaded with them as you never know which visual or musical aid may reach which student. While the school district may assign the curriculum and tell me what and which methods they'd like me to teach primarily, how can I help but offer alternatives? Could this not put a new spin on the lesson or perhaps reinforce what has been taught and learned? I look forward to Fall 2013 when I will be able to have my own classroom with 20 pairs of wide little eyes looking at me with the whole world in front of them. I look forward to learning right along with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment