Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Math Blog?


     I was really unsure of what to expect from my new math class; it's been about twelve years since my last math class, which had been right here in Bodie Hall back in 1998. Would I be able to follow along? Could I hold my attention on math for almost three hours? I have classmates in my university class who have been in a Math for Elementary Teachers class and I've heard mixed reviews; it's fun, it's hard, it's easy. So, I had no choice but to walk in with an open mind. So what did I think? Turns out, elementary kids are smart! This is kind of tricky! But, wow, I'm surprised how much of the math knowledge I had collecting dust and completely unused in the back of my brain for all those years was returning to me and FINALLY clicking! As I sit in class, it's really hitting home the importance of mastering different ways to solve and teach a problem to my future students. My teachers throughout the years would answer, "because that is how we do it" when I would ask, "but why?"

     Because of my loathing of math as a young student, I owe it to my future students to not impose the same feelings upon them by lacking a well-rounded knowledge of math and how to effectively teach it to them. As a result of this pact I have with them, I have taken more notes than my previous twelve years of math class notes combined. Who knows, maybe through the benefit of my aging and maturing as a student, this will be the time I not only learn math but understand the how and why of math. Anything is possible I guess; after all I never would have guessed I'd have a math blog.

Image Source Page: http://www.moremarin.com/.a/6a00e55001eaef88340120a6a8d498970c-popup

 

No comments:

Post a Comment